Chocolate by Mueller's Chocolate Turkey Drumsticks
Regular Market shoppers already know to go to Godshall's or Giunta's, Martin's Quality Meats & Sausage, L. Halteman Family Country Foods, or the Original Turkey or the Fair Food Farmstand for their turkey; Iovine Brothers Produce, OK Produce, Fair Food Farmstand, or Kauffman's Lancaster County Produce for veggies; and any of the Market bakeries for their pies and sweets. This story is to tell you about some newer or not-so-obvious Thanksgiving celebration aids. For instance:
- How about starting your Thanksgiving meal with a traditional colonial-era cocktail shrub drink made with Tait Farm Foods' cranberry or spiced apple shrub mix from the Pennsylvania General Store. This stand also sells John & Kira's caramel-spice chocolate pumpkins and caramel apples dipped in crushed Sweetzel spiced wafers or autumnally hued Reese's Pieces for the sweet tooths at your gathering.
- The plastic inflatable turkey by Accoutrements sold at Amy's Place could make a great centerpiece for a vegetarian Thanksgiving table. This stand also has meat-eaters covered with their turkey baster topped with a turkey-shaped bulb that contains its own brush for easy clean-up.
- Thanksgiving is a showcase dinner and nothing will wow your guests like the Flying Monkey Bakery's famous turducken-like Pumpple cake (apple and pumpkin pies baked inside chocolate and vanilla cakes, pre-ordering required). More than you think your group can handle? How about a dozen of this bakery's caramel apple pie cupcakes or pumpkin-pecan whoopie pies?
- Planning to do your own baking? The tiny fall leaf candy shapes and autumn-colored jimmies sold at The Head Nut could seasonally dress up your own creations. This stand also carries Simply Sprouted Way Better Snacks' pumpkin-cranberry-flavored tortilla chips for holiday-appropriate healthy, pre-dinner snacking.
- Pumpkin and apple butter taste great stirred into oatmeal or spread on bread at breakfast the morning of (or after) Thanksgiving. You can buy jarred versions made in Pennsylvania Dutch country at Kauffman's Lancaster County Produce, L. Halteman Family Country Foods, The Head Nut and the Fair Food Farmstand. Kauffman's and Halteman's also carry sweet potato and pumpkin pancake mixes.
- Metropolitan Bakery's pumpkin cranberry bread could work for Thanksgiving breakfast or dinner. Made with pumpkin, spices, dried cranberries and Metropolitan's signature sourdough starter, it's available Fridays and Sundays in November as well as the day before Thanksgiving.
- We already mentioned Iovine Brothers Produce as a source of Thanksgiving vegetables to eat. But we think one of their interestingly textured blue and gold Hubbard squashes would also make a wonderful decoration or table centerpiece.
- Speaking of the Thanksgiving table, take yours to the next level of specialness and fun by swapping out the usual boring old rectangular stick of butter with a Keller's Creamery turkey butter sculpture sold by Hatville Deli.
- Looking for a Thanksgiving hostess gift? We nominate Chocolate by Mueller's box of anatomically correct milk chocolate turkey legs or super-sized chocolate wishbone. Mueller's also sells pilgrim and turkey chocolate lollipops, turkey-shaped mint or maple-flavored crystallized candy and colorful foil-wrapped chocolate turkeys and fall leaves. Sweet as Fudge Candy Shoppe sells Thanksgiving-image-adorned foil chocolates and also big milk chocolate acorns and harvest-hued candy corn and spice drops.
- One different, sustainable way to handle your Thanksgiving veggies: Order a "Thanksgiving in a Box" produce share from Fair Food Farmstand here http://fairfoodfarmstand.myshopify.com/collections/featured-items/products/thanksgiving-in-a-box-produce-share or at the stand right now (Deadline: Thursday, November 20th!). It includes enough locally grown apples, onions, potatoes, carrots, cranberries and collards to make a Thanksgiving meal for three to four people and is available for pickup next Tuesday or Wednesday. This stand also sells pints of the local Weckerly's ice cream in such seasonally appropriate flavors as burnt sugar apple crumble, pumpkin butter bourbon and candied sweet potato as well as ice cream sandwiches made by sandwiching these ice creams between oat, gingersnap or maple pecan cookies.
- In addition to the usual pumpkin and apple, Termini Brothers Bakery also sells hard-to-find, old-fashioned mince pies as well as pumpkin cheesecake (whole cakes and by the slice) as an alternative to the more traditional, heavier pumpkin pie.
- Beiler's Bakery is holding a virtual pumpkin festival between their pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin cream pie, pumpkin cake (whole or by the slice), pumpkin roll and pumpkin cookies (the latter three, all with cream cheese icing). This is not to mention the pumpkin creme and pumpkin cake doughnuts on their doughnut stand side.
- And there is no speaking of pumpkin pie alternatives without mentioning Bassetts Ice Cream's pumpkin ice cream, made with real pumpkin, nutmeg and cinnamon. Their cinnamon ice cream is also a perfect topping for apple pie.
Carolyn Wyman is the Market's news correspondent and operator of the Reading Terminal's bi-weekly Taste of Philadelphia Food Tour.